“The Kottbusser Damm forms part of the border of Berlin districts Friedrichshain-Kreuzberg and Neukölln. The name Kottbusser Damm, which derives despite the deviant spelling of the city of Cottbus, was first mentioned in 1874. In 1838 the street was called Rixdorfer Damm.
The residential development along the Kottbusser Damm was built during the Wilhelminian era and has hardly been modernized or renovated over the years. Thus, instead of the original high-quality retail shops, there are numerous small – mainly Kreuzberg and Neukölln – mainly Turkish and Arabic shops and restaurants on the ground floor. About one third of the inhabitants of this street are people with a migration background.  According to legend, the usual in Germany variant of doner kebab in flat bread in the early 1970s was sold for the first time in a Turkish restaurant on Kottbusser dam.
Worth mentioning are three other monuments in this street:
Number 2/3: a tenement house from the years 1910/1911 by Bruno Taut and Arthur Vogdt, 1977-1980 rebuilt to plans by Hinrich and Inken Baller,
Number 72 with Lenaustraße 1-4: a dorm from the years 1911-1913 of the Christian Association of Young Men to the design of the architect A. Tieffenbach, rebuilt in 1989, Number 90 with Bürknerstraße 12-14 and Spremberger street 11: residential complex of Bruno Taut and Arthur Vogdt from the years 1909-1910.” (source)