Lausitzer Platz

Lausitzer Platz · Berlin

“The Lausitzer Platz is a city square and at the same time the name of the surrounding street in Berlin’s district Kreuzberg of the district Friedrichshain-Kreuzberg. The after the southeast of Berlin Lusatia named place was kept free within the former city wall and got its name in 1849. In 1847, the New Köpenick Gate was built here. In the center of the square is planned by August Orth and built in 1890-1893 Emmauskirche. It was in its original – destroyed in the Second World War – figure after the Berlin Cathedral, the largest church in Berlin.

The Lusatian Square is often used for street parties and markets, for example, there is weekly (Friday) an eco-market. On May 1, 1987, a street festival became the starting point of the Kreuzberg Maikrawalle, after the police violently ended this festival. Since in the 1990s, the numerous Punkerkneipen disappeared, it was quiet on the square. In the 2010s, the increased gentrification of the neighborhood has led to a fundamental change in the population structure. Tourists are also increasingly shaping the picture.

South of the Lausitzer Platz, just behind the elevated railway line of the U1 and U3 (the oldest subway line in Berlin) and the Görlitzer station, are the Spreewaldplatz and the Görlitzer Park. In the north, the Waldemar and the Eisenbahnstraße border the square.

In Kreuzberg, the Lausitzer Platz is also known as “Lauseplatz” or “Lausi”.” (source)

Add comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Previous post Oberbaumbrücke
Next post Eisenbahntraße
image/svg+xml

Menu

Recent Posts

Recent Comments

Tags